Instructure (the vendor for Canvas) has made a new gradebook available, with added functionality. The new gradebook is still in beta, but instructors can enable and use it in their course(s) while Instructure continues to add additional features.
A word of caution: You will not be able to revert to the old gradebook if you use either of the following features:
- Automatically apply a grading rule to late and missing submissions
- Manually adjust submission status to none, late, missing, or excused
Please also note: If you currently use the gradebook export/import functions or treat ungraded as zero, it is recommended that you do NOT enable the new gradebook as these functions are not yet available.
Below are some of the features which are currently available in the new gradebook:
- Drag and drop columns; increase width of columns
- New menus for more settings and sorting options
- Additional filtering options
- Late and missing flags with automatic deduction policies
- Grade detail tray which displays a grading summary by assignment and student
To enable the new gradebook in your course, go to Settings, click the Feature Options tab, and click the toggle button for New Gradebook.
The new gradebook will eventually replace the existing gradebook; the date of this transition has not been set.
For additional information on the new gradebook, visit the New Gradebook FAQ.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact 6-TECH at (336) 256-TECH (8324) or 6-TECH@uncg.edu.