UNCG Information Technology Services (ITS) has added Google Drive to the Google Vault retention and e-Discovery service for all UNCG G Suite accounts. This expands the Vault service that previously only handled email retention & e-Discovery.
Vault will make it easier for all UNCG employees to retain copies of all work-related electronic documents, including those of a non-transient nature, as required by the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. 132-1). Refer to UNCG’s Records Management site for more details.
What UNCG users need to know:
- Google Vault for Drive is primarily a compliance service, not a backup/restoration service.
- Google Vault will allow searching for, and restoration of, any deleted drive content for up to 1 year after the content was moved to the trash.
- The retention rule delays the permanent deletion of files that were emptied from a user’s Google Drive trash folder.
- Users can continue to choose to keep files in Google Drive forever (there is unlimited quota in Gmail and Google Drive).
- User creates a file on June 15th, 2018
- User modifies the file on June 25th, 2018
- User puts the file into the trash on July 4th, 2018
- The file is emptied from trash on August 4th, 2018
- The file is retained in Google Vault until July 4th, 2019
- The file is permanently deleted and removed from Google Vault on July 5th, 2019
If you have questions or need more information, please contact 6-TECH at (336) 256-TECH (8324) or 6-TECH@uncg.edu.