Earlier this year (March 2018) ITS announced that the new Canvas gradebook was made available for enablement by instructors on a course-by-course basis. In order for the new gradebook to be used during Winter session, it will be automatically enabled in all courses on December 10 after grades are due. The overall functionality and setup of assignments and grade calculations will not change in the new gradebook, however new features are added:
- Drag and drop columns; increase width of columns.
- New menus for more settings and sorting options.
- Additional filtering options.
- Late and missing flags with automatic deduction policies.
- Grade detail tray which displays a grading summary by assignment and student.
This change only affects the instructor view of the gradebook – not the students’ “Grades” area.
Complete instructions for using the new gradebook are found in the Canvas Guides. It is highly recommended that instructors planning to use the late/missing policies feature read the late/missing policies FAQ.
Instructors that have any questions about using the new gradebook should consult with the Instructional Technology Consultant(s) in their school or college. Questions can also be directed to 6-TECH at (336) 256-TECH (8324) or 6-TECH@uncg.edu.