In late 2019, UNCG joined the Internet2 GCP Net+ program, which provides multiple benefits, such as egress cost waivers, credit opportunities, and billing efficiencies. On Monday, February 1, 2021, Information Technology Services (ITS) will begin to change the self-service project creation process on UNCG’s Google Cloud Platform (GCP). These changes take advantage of the Internet2 Net+ benefits and make GCP services easier to administer. GCP projects allow users to interact with both GSuite and GCP Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
Summary of changes
- UNCG employees will be required to request project creation through ITS.
- Current students will continue to self-create projects.
- Support will be offered for research use cases on GCP through the Cloud Cyber Infrastructure (CCI) Lab.
Current: Anyone with an active UNCG Google account can create projects. All projects appear in the default/root-level folder in GCP.
- Existing projects will move into their appropriate folders based on the project owner’s role (e.g., student, employee, researcher, etc.).
- There will be no changes to existing permissions or to how projects function.
February 1, 2021
- Current students and employees will be able to self-create projects within a predefined folder based on their role.
May 3, 2021 (possibly earlier)
- Current students will be able to self-create projects, but only within a predefined “Student” folder.
- Employees will be required to request project creation at 6TECH.uncg.edu.