Stay safe online with this year’s four basic cybersecurity behaviors that will set you up for success.
A solid first step is using strong passwords and a password manager.
Data source: PC Mag https://www.pcmag.com/news/average-us-internet-user-is-locked-out-of-10-accounts-per-month
Strong passwords can be long or complex (ITS recommends ways to use passphrases to create a strong password). And cybersecurity best practice calls for using a unique password for each individual account/site. Trying to remember dozens of such passwords can become a nightmare, if not impossible! A password manager is the solution.
Password managers allow you to choose strong passwords, unique for each online account or site, without having to remember them. All you need to remember is the password to your password manager.
Other benefits include:
- Working across all your devices and operating systems, making it easier to log in when switching between them.
- Acting as browser extensions so they can assist you in creating new passwords, changing old passwords, and auto-filling online forms with your name, address, phone number, and even credit card information.
- Additional security features like notification of potential phishing websites.
- PC Magazines’ The Best Password Managers article explains the benefits of using a password manager and provides a comparison of some of the top applications.
- For interesting facts about passwords and password managers, watch: